Monday, August 13, 2012

Pygmalion Post 3


Wimpole Street in Westminster, London, the street where Henry Higgins grew up.
The selfish, older Higgins is destined to be a bachelor for eternity because he has an infatuated view of what the perfect woman should be.  By growing up with the ideal mother (in his perspective), Higgins has very few women whom he would consider eligible for him to date.  No woman will go through the trouble of marrying him with his unreasonably high expectations.  Regardless of Higgins being a wealthy man and being able to support his possible wife, no woman can meet the high standard he envisions in his mother.  Also, Higgins already has one true love being “Milton and the Universal Alphabet.” 
The Universal Alphabet, one of Higgins' true loves.
I also have a very supportive mother who has been ideal in raising me from the time I was born.  However, I do hope, unlike Higgins, that I will find someone who I truly love and with whom I wish to spend the rest of my life. Although I have been very fortunate to have a good family life similar to Higgins, I have been fortunate also to have been growing up in two separate households with two sets of parents living only twenty-five minutes apart.  I have a lot of influences that make the person who I am today.  I am surprised that Mrs. Higgins does not convince Henry to find a wife and spend his wealth on her; and knowing Henry, because he idealizes his mother endlessly, would obey even if the woman wasn’t as perfect as his mother.  Also, I would think that Henry would want to leave a legacy in his child, whether it is a male or female, and teach him or her to have the same profession as he does.  However, with Henry’s selfish perception, his narcissistic view, and his mindset of being an old bachelor for the rest of his life; his chances of being married are questionable.  Although I respect Henry for having a good “speech training” business, I personally would want someone with whom to share my life.
A bride and groom happily married.

No comments:

Post a Comment